Sunday, May 17, 2009

I'm Making History With My Very First Blog!


Happy Sunday, Everyone! That sounds funny, considering there might be one or two people who read this. :) Anyway, I thought maybe I should figure out how to do this blogging thing, so those of you who have found me following your blogs won't think I'm a stalker!
I'm excited about creating this blog, and I hope you will be patient with me. I consider myself to be computer-literate, but for some reason, I've never developed an interest in the "Myspace", "Facebook", and now "Twitter" crazes. I was drawn to this blogging community through my searches for crochet information. After reading some of your blogs, I decided I wanted to jump on the bandwagon and begin sharing my passion for crochet.
Here's a brief history . . . All the females above me in my family tree have been very crafty, especially with needle arts. My mother and grandmother made beautiful clothes for me when I was a child. My mother was very skilled at sewing, knitting, and crocheting. When I was a teenager, she patiently tried to teach me how to crochet, but I could never get past a few rows of single crochets before getting bored to tears! At that time, I thought crochet was just about making afghans and doilies. (Anyone heard that before?) I never dreamed you could actually make something CUTE and useful with yarn and a hook.
Well, years went by, and my mother made countless afghans that she gave away. Fortunately, my sister and I were the recipients of many of her labors of love. Mom is with Jesus now, but I know she looks down on us approvingly when we snuggle up with her beautiful handiwork. I can also appreciate now just how much work she really put into those little projects!
So, how did I get to be where I am today . . . absolutely obsessed with crochet and yarn and hooks, and other tools of the trade? Back in October, 2008, I got something on my homepage that said, "How to Crochet a Granny Square". When I read that, a little lightbulb went off in my head, and I thought, "I could crochet a baby blanket for my first grandchild." Well, this is funny for many reasons. First, I was envisioning a granny square magically becoming a blanket . . . . just like that! This was also funny because not only do I not have a grandchild, but my almost-newlywed daughter and son-in-law have no plans of giving me grandchildren in the near future. :) So, I'm not really sure why I had this little vision, but oh well . . . I just took off with it.
I emailed my mother-in-law, who also happens to be extremely talented and crafty, and asked her if she could teach me how to make a granny square. It was almost Thanksgiving, so she told me to get some yarn that I liked, and she had hooks, and we would make granny squares after our big turkey dinner. So, do you think I should hold my mother-in-law responsible for turning me into the obsessive yarn addict that I've become? :) The couple of granny squares I made that day turned into 25 by the end of the long weekend. Funny thing is, I've got about 75 squares made now, but they're still sitting in a drawer, waiting for me to decide what to do with them. I've moved way past those original grannies, and have decided that if/when I get my first grandchild, he or she will deserve something very cuddly, not my first attempt at crochet with scratchy acrylic yarn!
Okay, so that was not such a brief history! But, it tells you how my crochet journey began, and I hope each of you who finds this blog will join me and share your thoughts and ideas along the way.
By the way, the picture is of a scarf I made the week after I mastered those darn granny squares. So, it was officially my first completed "project". I've taken lots of pictures this weekend, and I'll get them posted in the days to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to Greyt Balls of Yarn. Glad you stopped by for a visit. Feel free to leave a comment, so I will know you were here. Come back anytime!